It’s no secret that wearing sunscreen is essential in our skincare regime. Skincare experts suggest using sunscreen for the face and body can prevent unnecessary damage due to sun exposure. It is one of the simplest ways to protect the skin against sunburn, premature aging, skin cancer, and more. Whether it is sunny or cloudy, wearing sunscreen daily is a must. Here are some reasons:
- Protects against harmful rays, sunburns, and tanning
- Prevents visible signs of premature aging
- Reduces the risk of skin cancer and skin precancers
- Reduces scars on the skin and makes skin tone even
- Keeps skin hydrated, smooth and healthier
Sunscreen has active ingredients that work by blocking and absorbing UV rays. Most sunscreen with SPF 30 and above can block around 97% of the UV rays. However, to get the best out of sunscreen, it is essential to pick the right sunscreen based on various factors. Here are some factors to consider:
5 Ways to Pick the Best Sunscreen For Your Skin
Broad Spectrum Protection: Earlier, most sunscreen only offered protection against UVB rays that cause sunburn and skin cancers, not UVA rays that cause premature aging and tanning. With the latest innovations, many sunscreens protect against UVB and UVA rays. They are called broad-spectrum sunscreens. So choosing a broad spectrum-based sunscreen is essential when reading the sunscreen label.
SPF 50 and P++ Shield: SPF stands for “sunscreen protection factor”, while PA is “protection grade of UVA”. SPF measures UVB protection, and PA measures UVA protection. SPF 15 sunscreen protects the skin against 93% UVB rays, while SPF 50 sunscreen protects the skin against 98% UVB rays. Similarly, PA+ will somewhat protect the skin against UVA rays, and P++ will offer moderate protection. Hence, picking the SPF 50 and P++ shield is considered the best sunscreen for the face and body.
Water Resistant Factor: Sunscreens are not waterproof or sweatproof; however, looking for water-resistant sunscreen can be important if you expose yourself to water or sweat frequently. Water-resistant based formulations do not come off when in contact with sweat or water. It protects the skin when swimming or in the rain and hot weather. However, to be safer, always look for how long the sunscreen lasts against swimming or sweating.
Natural Ingredients: It’s a thumb rule that choosing naturally-sourced ingredients for sunscreen is better than chemicals and for various reasons. Rather than using chemicals such as octinoxate, parabens, and oxybenzone, natural sunscreen use ingredients like zinc oxide, vitamin c, aloe vera, and more. Chemical-based sunscreen risks aggravating eczema and other skin issues, while natural sunscreens are super gentle and will soothe the skin and provide much-need sun protection.
Skin Type: One of the significant factors when choosing the best sunscreen for the face and body is the skin type. Different skin types need different formulations of sunscreen for the best results. Here are some options:
- For Dry Skin: People with dry or flaky skin should go for moisturizing and hydrating sunscreens. It can be lotion or cream-based sunscreen that prevents the skin from drying while also moisturizing. Glycerine or aloe vera are essential ingredients to look for in a dry skin sunscreen.
- Oily Skin: Oily skin is usually acne-prone, and heavy creamy sunscreen might worsen the skin condition. Choosing mattifying, light-cream, gel-based lotion with SPF above 30 can be the best bet for oily skin. Such sunscreen absorbs excess oily from the face and leaves a non-sticky feel on the skin.
- Sensitive Skin: People with sensitive skin can use milder ingredients that do not irritate or cause rashes. Look for soothing ingredients like coconut milk, aloe vera, cocoa butter, and essential oils. Such sunscreen will also make the skin glow and help prevent acne.
- Normal Skin: People with normal skin should opt for high-quality sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays. It’s better to go for water-resistant, free from alcohol, sulfate, paraben, fragrance, or preservatives. Also, getting a quick absorb and moisturizing formula can be excellent for normal skin.
- Combination Skin: A lightweight formula is the most critical factor when buying sunscreen for combination skin. It should be light enough not to weigh down the T-zone oily area and smooth for dry parts of the face.
Most of us think of wearing sunscreen only when planning a trip to the beach. However, it is essential to apply sunscreen every day. Also, it is best to apply sunscreen for 20 mins before stepping out in the sun and repeating the process every 3-4 hours.
Get the best sunscreen for the face and body introduced by Faith and Patience. The Pina Colada Sunscreen- SPF 50 PA++ is specially formulated to offer maximum sun protection to all skin types. It helps to protect the skin from early signs of aging and environmental damage. Moreover, this non-toxic and 100% natural sunscreen is also cruelty-free and comes in recyclable packaging. So, get this sunscreen to protect your skin and also your environment.